The Sonoma diet was created by an American nutritionist, named Connie Guttersen. Connie was an advisor for well-known American brands such as Nestle and Kraft, among others. The Sonoma diet evolved by basing her field of expertise of nutrition to create a balanced diet that would help individuals to gradually and healthily lose weight.
The basis of the Sonoma Diet is founded upon the food pyramid or a diet plan based upon consuming only wholesome and nutritious foods. The purpose of the diet isn’t just to help you lose weight but to teach you how to change your lifestyle and eating habits, allowing you to adopt this new eating approach from today forward.
The Sonoma diet has helped thousands to loose those extra pounds, but one of the main differences of this diet when compared with other popular diets is that you don’t regain the weight lost. Why? The key is in the fact that it teaches you new eating habits that help you maintain your new weight. This isn’t a restrictive diet. The Sonoma diet is based on eating gourmet foods or in other words, foods that are tasty and prepared in a healthy manner.
This diet has three phases:
The first phase is the most restrictive one of the three and is for a time period of 10 days. It is considered to be the most restricted because it is the phase that reeducates you on how to eat correctly and helping you to break free from sweet and fatty food addictions.
You are permitted to eat the following:
- Vegetables: eggplant, tomatoes, celery, onions, spinach, mushrooms, asparagus, peppers, broccoli, cabbage, cucumbers and zucchini.
- Dairy products: Skimmed milk (1 cup a day), low-fat cream cheese, mozzarella or Parmesan cheese (only 30 grams a day).
- Proteins: Lean meats (beef, turkey, pork and ham), beans, garbanzos, lentils, fish, shellfish, lamb, one egg a day, peanut butter and tofu.
- Grains: You are allowed 1/2 cup with each meal: Cooked pasta, rice, wholegrain unsweetened cereal or a slice of wholegrain bread or popped popcorn.
- Fats: (You are allowed 3 portions a day, taking into consideration that each portion is only one teaspoon) you can use olive oil, avocado, nuts such as almonds, peanuts and walnuts moderately on this diet.
- Beverages: You are allowed a black coffee that is sweetened with an artificial sweetener, if desired. You can add one teaspoon of cream, which will be removed from you daily fat potion. You can drink as much water as you desire while on this diet and black, green or herbal teas (without sugar or cream).
- Condiments: These can be used occasionally. You can use herbs such as basil, oregano, cilantro, rosemary or tarragon: Spices such as chili powder, pepper, cumin, cloves or curry; garlic, ginger, lemon, mustard, vanilla and vinegar.
The second stage of the Sonoma diet consists in weight loss by learning to eat correct portion sizes. This diet does not provide daily caloric restrictions or expensive pre-purchased meals or use of supplements.
The third phase of this diet is where you begin to lose weight, as now you have acquired the knowledge in the first two phases that enable you to lose weight and keep it off by changing your eating habits. You just need to apply the new eating habits to your day-to-day lifestyle and you will reach your ideal weight in no time.
Some key foods in the Sonoma diet are:
- Peppers (all colors)
- Olive oil
- Whole grains and whole wheat
An example of a daily meal on the Sonoma diet:
- Breakfast: An unsweetened whole grain cereal with milk
- Lunch: A pork chop with rosemary, Brussels sprouts sautéed with some ham, 1 slice of whole wheat bread and a small dessert of an unsweetened fruit salad.
- Supper: A rice salad with a small piece of chicken, one cup of raw grated carrots and celery with 2 tablespoons of hummus. Dessert: a baked apple
- Snacks between meals: A piece of whole-wheat pita bread with a yogurt and cucumber sauce.
- Conclusion: The Sonoma diet is a healthy and balanced diet, which is recommended for all types of people. It is suggested to include a regular exercise program that encourages you to perform some sort of physical activity 3 to 4 times a week to complete your healthy lifestyle.